You’ve landed your perfect UK teaching position. What next?
Great! Teach In have organised your teaching contract. So, what happens next?
- Speak to your overseas team about booking your flight.
- Check out our helpful guide to finding accommodation for fantastic tips on what to look for and what to avoid! If you’re London-bound, here’s some more detailed info on finding your perfect place in that fabulous city.
Once you arrive into the UK, you will need to take the following steps:
- Make sure you provide your temporary/current UK address passed to your consultant.
- Collect your Biometrics Resident Permit – you need to collect your BRP within 10 days of arriving into the UK)
- Visit your local Teach In branch – arrange to meet your UK consultant. You will need to take your Visa, Passport & collect your DBS from Branch & finalise your file ready to teach. Please note, if you are placed through one of our UK based sister companies Just Teachers or Supply Desk you will need visit that branch!)
- Organise a UK SIM card and phone number & pass this to the UK office so they can offer you work ASAP (if you are on a guaranteed supply contract).
- Get your National Insurance Number. This is very important to ensure you don’t pay a higher rate of tax. To make an appointment, call your local Job Centre Plus on 0845 600 0643. It can take 3-4 weeks for your NI number to come through, so make sure you do this as soon as possible. Jobcentre Plus may write to you and ask you to attend an interview where you’ll be asked about your circumstances and why you need a National Insurance number. The letter will also tell you which documents to bring to prove your identity, for example:
- passport or identity card
- residence permit
- birth or adoption certificate
- marriage or civil partnership certificate
- driving licence
You’ll be told at the interview how long it will take to receive your National Insurance number. You can find more information here: https://www.gov.uk/apply-national-insurance-number
- Set up your UK bank account. You won’t be able to set up your UK account until you have your NI number. We recommend HSBC as you can open an international bank account before leaving Australia / Canada (just visit your local branch). You will need to take photo ID & proof of address. Or you can do it online at hsbc.co.uk (click on “open account” and follow the instructions.)
- You have the option to work through PAYE or an umbrella company. Speak to your UK team about setting this up.
- Join our Facebook group (if you haven’t already) and start meeting your UK-based colleagues! Ask your local consultant for more information.
Download your Teach In Arriving in the UK checklist here: